by Susan Barnett
Below is a simple recipe for corned beef and cabbage. I like to use the leftover corned beef for a Rueben dip or corned beef hash; see the extra recipe at the bottom.
3-4 lb – Corned beef brisket with spice packet
10 – Small red potatoes
5 – Carrots peeled and cut in half
1 – Medium onion quartered
1 – Large head of green cabbage, cored and cut in wedges
- Place corned beef brisket in large pot or Dutch oven. Add water to the top of the meat and add spice packet on the meat. Cover and bring to a simmer cooking approximately 1 hour per pound.
- After cooking 2 hours add potatoes, onion and carrots and cook about 45 minutes until vegetables start to get tender. Then add cabbage on top of the corned beef dinner, cover and cook about 20-30 minutes longer.
- Place all vegetables in a serving bowl. Remove corned beef and place on a cutting board. Remove excess fat. Always cut the corned beef across the grain. Serve immediately.
- Chill leftover corned beef to be used for Rueben dip, sandwiches or hash.
TIP: You can also use your slow cooker. Follow slow cooker directions, add the carrots, potatoes and onion 2-3 hours before serving, and add cabbage the last 30-45 minutes.
1 cup – Sauerkraut well drained
½ cup – shredded Swiss cheese
6 ounces – corned beef, diced
2/3 cup mayonnaise and 1/3 cup Russian or 1,000 Island Dressing mixed together
½ cup shredded Swiss cheese
2 – Green onions chopped
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Layer all ingredients in a 9” pie plate or an 8” square pan in the order listed.
- Bake covered for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve with Rye crackers or party rye.